300 years of Guruship
The tercentenary celebration of the Guruship of Sri Guru Granth Sahib is to be undertaken on a massive scale in October 2008 at Takhat Sachkhand Sri Hazur Abchalnagar Sahib in Nanded, Maharashtra, India. The historic town of Nanded is an important place in Sikhi because it is where in October 1708, Guru Gobind Singh ended the chain of human Guruship and endowed the spiritual throne to the Holy Granth. The town is also important as Takht Sri Hazur Sahib, one of the five temporal thrones or seats of authority is located here. This is where Guru Gobind Singh, the Tenth Teacher, is known to have meditated on the banks of river Godavari and where he spent his final days.
Many other Gurdwaras worldwide will also be celebrating this important milestone in Sikh history with their own special events and festivities. The main Sikh Gurdwara situated in Nanded where the tenth Guru handed over the Guruship to the Guru Granth Sahib are undergoing a huge rebuilding exercise to facilitate the large inflow of pilgrims for this rare, hugely important and once-in-a-lifetime occasion for the Sikhs and also for the whole of the world. Many new facilities are being created to cater for this unprecedented occasion.
This event is of great relevance to the worldwide Sikh Community and will involve the remembrance of the 300th years of consecration of Guru Granth Sahib as the final and perpetual Guru of Sikhs as ordained by Guru Gobind Singh in 1708. The event will also commemorate the 300th anniversary of the accession of Guru Gobind Singh to his heavenly abode. The Guru Granth Sahib is regarded as the guiding light for the Sikh. Many non-Sikhs also have tremendous respect for the teachings contained within the pages of this Holy Scripture. On this momentous occasion, both non-Sikhs and Sikhs alike will join hands in millions to honour the high principles of peace, equality, unity, forgiveness and the many other high and noble messages promoted by the Guru.
The main celebrations at Nanded will be over 8 days and will be conducted in the month of October 2008. It is estimated that this event will attract 2,500,000 to 3,000,000 visitors from all over the world during the last three months of 2008. Many new facilities are being built and the State Government has great plans for this event.
- Meet The Woman Behind London Finance Solutions - October 15, 2017
- The Boy with the Topknot – Film Review - November 14, 2017
- Munshi Singh and The Komagata Maru Incident - October 28, 2017
- 10 Oct 2017 World Mental Health Day Awareness and Support are Both Key - October 10, 2017
- India: Milkha Singh Wax Work Unveiled in Madame Tussauds - October 5, 2017
- UK: Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE Passes Away - October 7, 2017
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh becomes leader of NDP - October 2, 2017
- UK MP Tanmanjeet Dhesi calls for direct flights between Amritsar – UK - September 27, 2017
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Lord Indarjit Singh CBE - September 25, 2017
- Basics of Sikhi, Jagraj Singh Passes Away - July 20, 2017
- Meet The Woman Behind London Finance Solutions
- The Boy with the Topknot – Film Review
- Munshi Singh and The Komagata Maru Incident
- 10 Oct 2017 World Mental Health Day Awareness and Support are Both Key
- India: Milkha Singh Wax Work Unveiled in Madame Tussauds
- UK: Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE Passes Away