Appeal to South Asian community to register as potential blood stem cell donors
Delete Blood Cancer UK is supporting a seriously ill man who is appealing for people to register as potential blood stem cell donors. Raj Singh Bhuller, who is from Slough, has acute myeloid leukaemia and requires a blood stem cell donation to get better. A matching donor is being sought for him and he is appealing for people to register as potential blood stem cell donors, to help find a matching donor for him, and all those seeking donors. He is appealing in particular to those who share his South Asian background to register, as those with a similar background are most likely to provide the most suitable match for him.
Raj, who is 51 years-old and married with two sons, was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia just over a month ago on Christmas Eve. He says that it has turned his and his family’s world upside down. However, Raj is determined to increase the chances of a matching donor being found for him, and all those seeking a matching donor, by increasing the number of people who are registered to be on standby to donate some of their blood stem cells.
With only four per cent of those registered to be on standby to donate some of their blood stem cells in the UK having an Asian background, he wants to increase this through his appeal.
Emphasising why it is important that those with a South Asian background register to go on standby to donate some of their blood stem cells, Deirdra Taylor, Director of Communications and Donor Relations at Delete Blood Cancer UK, said: “It is wonderful that Raj is encouraging people to register. those in need of blood stem cell donation are most likely to find a matching donor from similar ethnic background. That is why it is crucial that there is a diverse range of people registered to be on standby to donate some of their blood stem cells to someone who needs them for their survival.”
You can register in five minutes online and request a cheek swab kit that will enable you to do your own tissue test to become a potential blood stem cell donor through the Delete Blood Cancer UK website: www.deletebloodcancer.org.uk <http://deletebloodcancer.org.uk>
- Guru Amar Das - May 21, 2015
- Experiences, Comments and Thoughts from the Front Line - April 23, 2015
- Made in India – DC Avanti - April 12, 2015
- Body of Missing Baljeev Johal Found - April 10, 2015
- UK Workplace Turban Law Amended - March 31, 2015
- Gurdwara Sri Degsar Sahib - March 27, 2015
- FBI to track violence against Sikhs, Hindus and Arabs - March 27, 2015
- New Train From Amritsar to Anandpur Sahib - March 25, 2015
- Importance of Blood Donation - March 14, 2015
- Green plan for Sikh Gurdwaras in Pakistan - March 8, 2015
- The Father of Fibre Optics
- India-pakistan celebrates Guru Nanak dev Ji’s 550th birth anniversary together.
- ੴ ‘Ik Onkar’ symbol painted on aircraft
- Gurbani was read in the US Senate Chamber
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House