Armed robber disguised himself as a Sikh
A robber who several times disguised himself with a beard and a red turban to give the impression that he belonged to the Sikh community has been jailed for 11 years in New Zealand.
At Manukau District Court in South Auckland, Judge Dr Ajit Swaran Singh found Moenaia Toleafoa guilty on four counts of aggravated robbery at banks and retail stores and one count of demanding money with menaces.
Moenaia told the court that he committed the crimes – between December 2006 and December 2008 – for money to feed a gambling addiction.
Typically, he approached cash counters with a threatening note saying he was armed.
On one day in October 2007 he committed three offences in two hours disguised in turban, fake beard and sunglasses, carrying a concealed pistol.
But in May 2008 he was armed with a sawn-off shotgun, wearing sunglasses, a black wig and a beanie hat.
Toleafoa expressed remorse but Judge Dr Singh said that the community had to be protected and other people deterred from such offences.
The robberies in disguise of two banks and a bar in October 2007 prompted a flood of phone calls from outraged members of New Zealand’s 20,000 strong Sikh community.
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh Urged To Cut Off His Turban
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London