BBC presenter asked for taxi driver without a turban
A BBC radio presenter has been sacked for allegedly making “completely unacceptable” racial comments in a telephone call.
From a studio, BBC Bristol’s Sam Mason asked for a driver who was not wearing a turban as she ordered a taxi to take her 14-year-old daughter from her house to her grandparents’ home.
She said her daughter wasn’t used to Asians and she didn’t want her to be “freaked out” by a guy with a turban turning up.
The conversation was recorded by an employee at the taxi firm and details of the conversation later appeared in The Sun newspaper.
Subsequently, an operator at the taxi firm was dismissed as well, for illegally recording the conversation.
Sam Mason’s words were not heard on air – although the call was made off air during her weekend show– but the BBC spokesman said that her comments were still completely unacceptable.
The 40-year-old had been told that she would no longer be working for the BBC, with immediate effect.
Along with a fuller account of the dismissal, her conversation with the taxi firm can be heard on the Bristol news website www.thisisbristol.co.uk
The website reveals that more than 500 readers have emailed in to debate the rights and wrongs of the dismissal and it publishes some of their opinions.
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh Urged To Cut Off His Turban
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London