UK: Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE Passes Away
Birmingham, UK. Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE, a high profile lawyer and a community, inter-faith leader in Birmingham has passed away.
In 1978, Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla’s son was refused admission to a private preparatory school because he would not remove his Dastaar (turban). It was through the hard work and determination of Bhai Sewa Singh and the wider Sikh community that the House of Lords reversed a decision of the Court of Appeal and held that Sikhs were entitled to the protection of the Race Relations Act 1976.
Mandla v Dowell-Lee (1983) case set a precedent. Today the Equalities Act prohibits discrimination on grounds of colour, race or ethnic or national origins in education, as well as other aspects of life. When the Mandla case arose, the only other prohibited ground of discrimination was sex (gender). Anti-discrimination law was subsequently extended to disability, sexual orientation, age and religion.
Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla was appointed an OBE in recognition of his 50 years’ legal, human rights and selfless community voluntary service in West Midlands.
He was a Barrister with the Law Society United Kingdom, Chairman Council of Sikh Gurudwara’s in Birmingham (2002-2007), board member of the Single Regeneration Board Round 6 (SRB6) and Chairman of the Community Health and Social Exclusion group.
From everyone on the Sikhs Online team, we pay tribute to Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla. Thank you for your huge contribution to the Sikh and wider community.
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- Welcome to the team Rajveer Kaur - January 9, 2018
- Want to write for Sikhs Online? - January 1, 2018
- New Years Eve programme not to be missed at Guru Maneyo Granth Gurdwara - December 31, 2017
- The Chaar Sahibzaade – POEM - December 26, 2017
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future?
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh