UK: Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE Passes Away
Birmingham, UK. Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE, a high profile lawyer and a community, inter-faith leader in Birmingham has passed away.
In 1978, Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla’s son was refused admission to a private preparatory school because he would not remove his Dastaar (turban). It was through the hard work and determination of Bhai Sewa Singh and the wider Sikh community that the House of Lords reversed a decision of the Court of Appeal and held that Sikhs were entitled to the protection of the Race Relations Act 1976.
Mandla v Dowell-Lee (1983) case set a precedent. Today the Equalities Act prohibits discrimination on grounds of colour, race or ethnic or national origins in education, as well as other aspects of life. When the Mandla case arose, the only other prohibited ground of discrimination was sex (gender). Anti-discrimination law was subsequently extended to disability, sexual orientation, age and religion.
Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla was appointed an OBE in recognition of his 50 years’ legal, human rights and selfless community voluntary service in West Midlands.
He was a Barrister with the Law Society United Kingdom, Chairman Council of Sikh Gurudwara’s in Birmingham (2002-2007), board member of the Single Regeneration Board Round 6 (SRB6) and Chairman of the Community Health and Social Exclusion group.
From everyone on the Sikhs Online team, we pay tribute to Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla. Thank you for your huge contribution to the Sikh and wider community.
- Meet The Woman Behind London Finance Solutions - October 15, 2017
- 10 Oct 2017 World Mental Health Day Awareness and Support are Both Key - October 10, 2017
- India: Milkha Singh Wax Work Unveiled in Madame Tussauds - October 5, 2017
- UK: Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE Passes Away - October 7, 2017
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh becomes leader of NDP - October 2, 2017
- UK MP Tanmanjeet Dhesi calls for direct flights between Amritsar – UK - September 27, 2017
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Lord Indarjit Singh CBE - September 25, 2017
- Basics of Sikhi, Jagraj Singh Passes Away - July 20, 2017
- Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi wins seat at UK General Elections - June 9, 2017
- Britain Elects First Female Sikh MP – Preet Gill - June 9, 2017
- Meet The Woman Behind London Finance Solutions
- 10 Oct 2017 World Mental Health Day Awareness and Support are Both Key
- India: Milkha Singh Wax Work Unveiled in Madame Tussauds
- UK: Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE Passes Away
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh becomes leader of NDP
- UK MP Tanmanjeet Dhesi calls for direct flights between Amritsar – UK