Californian legislators give a lead on kirpans
The California State legislature has passed a groundbreaking bill to train law enforcement personnel about the importance of the ‘kirpans’ Sikhs are charged to carry by their faith.
In the tension following the events of 9/11 an increasing number of Sikhs carrying the symbolic blade in the US have been arrested and charged with violating state or concealed weapons laws.
Lobby group the Sikh Coalition has successfully resolved over 20 criminal cases involving the carrying of the kirpan, negotiating either withdrawal or dismissal of charges,
California’s lawmakers have been praised by Gurbachan Singh, chief of Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of the Sikhs, who said followers of every religion should have the freedom to keep their religious symbols with them. “The US has set an example before others and we hope other countries will soon follow,” he said.
The bill will become law, the first of its kind in the UK, when it gains Governor Schwarzenegger’s signature in October.
More information: www.sikhnet.com/news
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- The Father of Fibre Optics
- India-pakistan celebrates Guru Nanak dev Ji’s 550th birth anniversary together.
- ੴ ‘Ik Onkar’ symbol painted on aircraft
- Gurbani was read in the US Senate Chamber
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House