Celebrations muted as Sikhs gain first NZ MP
A one-time Indian businessman Kanwaljit Singh Bakshi has been elected to New Zealand’s new parliament on the winning National Party ticket.
Formerly resident in New Delhi, he will be New Zealand’s first Sikh MP in an electoral shake-up that has produced the country’s most ethnically diverse parliament.
As well as five Maori MPs, it will feature a record number of six immigrant Asian members, including candidates from Shanghai, Korea, Pakistan and Suva.
Mr Bakshi is one of 59 National Party MPs who will form a governing alliance with two smaller parties, ACT New Zealand and the United Future. They take the reins of power from the Labour Party, which will have only 43 seats, forming a 53 seat opposition with the Green Party and the Progressives.
The Maori MPs are non-aligned.
Sikh celebrations of Mr Bakshi’s success have been muted by pre-election allegations that since he arrived in the country in 2001 he has offered jobs to Indian nationals, instead of locals. Mr Bakshi, who denies any wrong doing, reportedly has business interests in property, wholesaling and fashion.
A number of Sikh Society members have called Mr Bakshi’s actions into question and immigration and labour authorities are assessing information passed to them,
Mr Bakshi said the allegations had done little to dent his support in the Manukau East election. “People are saying it is just a smear campaign against me,” he said.
The National Party”s success sees leader John Key taking over from Helen Clark, who had headed the Labour government since 1999.
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- Welcome to the team Rajveer Kaur - January 9, 2018
- Want to write for Sikhs Online? - January 1, 2018
- New Years Eve programme not to be missed at Guru Maneyo Granth Gurdwara - December 31, 2017
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father
- Mental Health Matters – Fact and Fiction
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future?