Family die as car driven wrong way on M1
A Sikh family travelling south in a Jaguar car on the M1 motorway in Bedfordshire died when their car was hit by a VW Passat travelling the wrong way up the southbound carriageway.
The Passat driver, a Polish man from Leicester, also died. Police are still trying to establish what he was doing driving into oncoming traffic.
The Sikh family comprised Lakhdip Nagra, 27, his sister Navjit, 28, and their mother Inderjit, 48 – all of Little Heath Road, Bexleyheath, Kent – along with Chain Singh, 66, an uncle visiting from Pur in Nawanshar, India.
The tragic accident happened little more than a month after the sudden death of Inderjit Nagra’s husband Shinder, from a brain haemorrhage.
The family were returning from Mrs Nagra’s home town of Birmingham on Saturday when the collision occurred as the Passat driver, Mariusz Marcin Adamski, made a sudden U-turn at some roadworks.
All five were pronounced dead at the scene. An ambulance service spokesman said the cars were unrecognisable and nothing could be done for their occupants.
The motorway was closed for nearly six hours for police investigations and removal of the vehicles and the bodies by the emergency services.
Inspector Colin Bonner from Bedfordshire Road Policing Unit told the Luton News: “We don’t know why this driver turned around – it may have been roadworks, he may have been confused or ill.”
The police have been searching for witnesses to the crash. They can be contacted on 01234 842492.
Post-mortem examinations were carried out and inquests opened at Bedford Coroner’s Court on Wednesday.
A family friend, Johal Balbir Singh, a committee member at the Belvedere, Kent, gurdwara, told the Bexley Times that its community had been devastated by the tragedy – just three weeks after they had finished mourning the death of Shinder Nagra.
Lakhdip Nagray worked for Deloitte UK as a senior technology consultant. His sister, an accountant, was due to be married in June.
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- AMAR SHAHEED BABA DEEP SINGH JI
- The Father of Fibre Optics
- India-pakistan celebrates Guru Nanak dev Ji’s 550th birth anniversary together.
- ੴ ‘Ik Onkar’ symbol painted on aircraft
- Gurbani was read in the US Senate Chamber