FBI to track violence against Sikhs, Hindus and Arabs
Department of Justice(DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) will now be able to track hate crimes against Sikhs, Hindus and Arab Americans. With support of 140 members of congress and after years of lobbying by community advocates, the DOJ and FBI have updated their hate crimes database and the FBI Hate Crime Data Crime Guidelines and Training Manual. There were no federal statistics kept on hate crimes against these groups previously.
The FBI Hate Crime Data Collection Guidelines and Training Manual is considered a critical hate crime training resource for law enforcement. And now with the help of community advocates, includes a special section to help local police identify, respond to and report hate crimes against Sikhs, Hindus and Arab Americans.
Jasjit Singh, executive director of SALDEF (Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund) said, “FBI’s updated manual marks a step toward ensuring accurate reporting of hate crimes committed against Sikhs, an important step that will ultimately aid the Sikh community as we continue to address the roots of anti-Sikh bias”. He also added that the reform was one that the Sikh community had sought for five years.
Since 9/11 terrorist attacks, the DOJ has investigated more than 800 incidents involving violence, threats, assaults and vandalism targeting Muslims, Sikhs, South Asians and others perceived to be members of these groups. According to Sikh Coalition survey, violence and discrimination against the Sikh community remain serious problems, with significant percentages of respondents reporting bias-motivated bullying and violence.
- Guru Amar Das - May 21, 2015
- Experiences, Comments and Thoughts from the Front Line - April 23, 2015
- Made in India – DC Avanti - April 12, 2015
- Body of Missing Baljeev Johal Found - April 10, 2015
- UK Workplace Turban Law Amended - March 31, 2015
- Gurdwara Sri Degsar Sahib - March 27, 2015
- FBI to track violence against Sikhs, Hindus and Arabs - March 27, 2015
- New Train From Amritsar to Anandpur Sahib - March 25, 2015
- Importance of Blood Donation - March 14, 2015
- Green plan for Sikh Gurdwaras in Pakistan - March 8, 2015
- The life of Amrita Sher-Gil: India’s Frida Kahlo
- The Impact of Social Media on Young People
- Time to Change 6th Feb 2020
- AMAR SHAHEED BABA DEEP SINGH JI
- The Father of Fibre Optics
- India-pakistan celebrates Guru Nanak dev Ji’s 550th birth anniversary together.