Gurdwara Baba Bakala
Situated in village baba bakala on gurdaspur road, this historical Gurdwara is associated with an important event in the Sikh history. This place is related with Guru Tegh Bahadur, Baba Makhan Shah Lubana and Mata Ganga Ji.
Before leaving his heavenly abode; Guru Harkrishan Ji uttered the words “baba bakala” indicating that his successor is to be found at the village baba bakala. This was the first time when the guru had not selected his successor in person and that led to anxiety in sikh world as many men at the village claimed to be the successor. Makhan Shah Lubana was a trader from jhelum district. His ship got caught in a sea storm and he prayed Guru Nanak that he will donate five hundred dinars to the Guru for charitable purposes; if his ship reaches land safely. His ship survived the storm and as promised he went baba bakala to donate the sum of money. As there were many men claiming to be the successors; he decided to donate only two dinars to each of the men and the true successor would himself demand the exact amount he had vowed to give. After offering dinars to everyone he heard of a solitarian in the area. His name was Tegh Bahadur, son of Guru Hargobind Sahib. When Makhan Shah offered two dinars; the great sage at once remarked “God bless you, my man, why only two dinars after pledging five hundred? The Guru is never in need of anything but a Sikh is expected to keep his pledge to the Guru”
Thus Makahan Shah Lubana found the real Guru and he went on the roof top shouting “Guru labho re” (Found the Guru). Since then it has become a historic place for pilgrims. The Gurdwara stands at the very spot where Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji used to meditate in his underground cell. Sheesh mahal Gurdwara is situated in the premises where Mata Ganga Ji (Guru Arjan Dev’s wife) leave her heavenly abode. Thousands of sikhs come here to pay their respects. Butari railway station is 3 kilometres from the Gurdwara and is well connected by roads.
- Guru Amar Das - May 21, 2015
- Experiences, Comments and Thoughts from the Front Line - April 23, 2015
- Made in India – DC Avanti - April 12, 2015
- Body of Missing Baljeev Johal Found - April 10, 2015
- UK Workplace Turban Law Amended - March 31, 2015
- Gurdwara Sri Degsar Sahib - March 27, 2015
- FBI to track violence against Sikhs, Hindus and Arabs - March 27, 2015
- New Train From Amritsar to Anandpur Sahib - March 25, 2015
- Importance of Blood Donation - March 14, 2015
- Green plan for Sikh Gurdwaras in Pakistan - March 8, 2015
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh
- Welcome to the team Rajveer Kaur
- First Female Turbaned Sikh Pilot Congratulated by SGPC
- Sikhs in USA showcase a floral spectacle
- Want to write for Sikhs Online?
- New Years Eve programme not to be missed at Guru Maneyo Granth Gurdwara