Gurdwara Sri Degsar Sahib
Gurdwara Degsar Sahib (also known as Gurdwara Katana Sahib) commemorates the history of visiting Guru Hargobind Sahib and Guru Gobind Singh. Guru Hargobind Sahib visited in the year 1675. They had 7 cannons, 1100 horse riding warriors and Chandu Qaidi (the one who was involved in Guru Arjan Dev’s martyrdom) and his cloak with 52 hems, the one Guru Ji used to free 52 Kings from the Gwalior Fort prison with him. Guru Ji rested here for a night and tied his horse to the “ber” tree.
Guru Gobind Singh Ji also visited the place on his way to Dunanagar in the year 1705 from Machiwara. Disguised as the “Uchh Da Pir”, accompanied by Bhai Daya Singh, Bhai Dharam Singh, Bhai Maan Singh and two Muslim brothers Bhai Nabi Khan and Bhai Gani Khan who were serving as his palki bearers. Guru Ji’s bed was placed under the “ber” tree where they rested for night. It is believed that Guru Ji had his first meal since leaving Machiwara and that he also distributed the “Deg” with his hands and named this place as Degsar Sahib.
During the British times, in the year 1854, the British proposed to dig an irrigation canal that would require the Gurdwara to be relocated. But the engineer Mr Smith, the in-charge of digging work was blinded as he he attempted to cut down the “Beri Sahib”. Wherever the axe struck Beri Sahib, blood come out. Mr Smith regretted and offered Deg to the Gurdwara and got his sight back. Then the plan to relocate the Gurdwara was discarded.
The canal goes straight from near the Gurdwara, which was planned to bend from the place where Gurdwara exists. The British also tried to build a very small Gurdwara as a relocation plan, which still exist just across the road from Gurdwara Degsar Sahib. The day of Sangraand is celebrated every month and devotees gather in large numbers.
Gurdwara has a sarovar (water body) and a large langar hall (free community kitchen) to accommodate the large number of pilgrims, who come to pay their respects. Gurdwara is situated in the village katana, about 25 kilometres from Ludhiana in Punjab, India. It is 5 kilometres from Doraha, which has a railway station. The Gurdwara is situated on Doraha-Nilon link road, on the banks of Sirhind canal. Gurdwara is well connected by road network from Ludhiana-GT Road and Chandigarh-Ludhiana Road.
- Guru Amar Das - May 21, 2015
- Experiences, Comments and Thoughts from the Front Line - April 23, 2015
- Made in India – DC Avanti - April 12, 2015
- Body of Missing Baljeev Johal Found - April 10, 2015
- UK Workplace Turban Law Amended - March 31, 2015
- Gurdwara Sri Degsar Sahib - March 27, 2015
- FBI to track violence against Sikhs, Hindus and Arabs - March 27, 2015
- New Train From Amritsar to Anandpur Sahib - March 25, 2015
- Importance of Blood Donation - March 14, 2015
- Green plan for Sikh Gurdwaras in Pakistan - March 8, 2015
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh
- Welcome to the team Rajveer Kaur
- First Female Turbaned Sikh Pilot Congratulated by SGPC
- Sikhs in USA showcase a floral spectacle
- Want to write for Sikhs Online?
- New Years Eve programme not to be missed at Guru Maneyo Granth Gurdwara