Canada: Jagmeet Singh Urged To Cut Off His Turban
Canada: Jagmeet Singh was told to “cut off” his turban to “look like a more canadian”.Singh was in Montreal ahead of the TVA French-language debate,which was taking place at 8pm in the city, and following a media availability with reporters earlier in yesterday morning.The NDP leader went for a walk through the open-air market with his wife.
Media following the campaign accompanied him, and at one point, Singh approached a white-haired man in the market and said hello.The man asked how he was doing and, after a brief exchange, Sway in to speak closer to Singh’s ear.
“You know what?” the man said.
“What’s that?” Singh responded.
“You should really cut your turban off and you [inaudible] look like a Canadian,” the man said.
Singh put one hand on the man’s shoulder and responded: “I think Canadians look like all sorts of people.That’s the beauty of Canada.”
“In Rome, you do as the Romans do,” the man said back.
“Hey,But This is Canada. You can do whatever you like,” Singh said, then walked away.
“All right, take care ,eh?” the man called after him.”I hope you win.”Singh is a practising Sikh and wears a turban as a visible sign of his faith.
Regarding this on june 16,2019 Quebec passes bill banning public servants from wearing religious symbols.
Jagmeet Singh says an NDP government wouldn’t challenge Quebec’s religious symbols law in court — but he hopes his own public identity can change Quebecers’ minds about wearing religious symbols.
“I’m a bearded, turbaned man that’s going to Quebec and saying, ‘I love the French language, I respect the unique identity of Quebec and I want to fight to defend it and I’m proud of who I am,'” said the NDP Leader.
“Maybe they can start to say, ‘Well, you know, that guy believes in the things that I believe in.Maybe those symbols aren’t a problem.”
- The Father of Fibre Optics - November 18, 2019
- India-pakistan celebrates Guru Nanak dev Ji’s 550th birth anniversary together. - November 8, 2019
- ੴ ‘Ik Onkar’ symbol painted on aircraft - October 29, 2019
- Gurbani was read in the US Senate Chamber - October 23, 2019
- ARDAS - October 18, 2019
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House - October 6, 2019
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh Urged To Cut Off His Turban - October 4, 2019
- The Father of Fibre Optics
- India-pakistan celebrates Guru Nanak dev Ji’s 550th birth anniversary together.
- ੴ ‘Ik Onkar’ symbol painted on aircraft
- Gurbani was read in the US Senate Chamber
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House