India: Milkha Singh Wax Work Unveiled in Madame Tussauds
After winning Gold in the 1958 Commonwealth Games in Cardiff, Wales, UK, the Athlete had a day stop over in London and to make most of time and decided to visit the world famous Madame Tussauds. But at that time, not even in his wildest dreams did Milkha Singh think that one day he would have his wax statue made by Madame Tussauds.
“After the Cardiff Games were over, some of my fellow athletes told me that there’s a very famous museum in London where there are statues of world’s great personalities and they look real. So, I visited the museum and I liked it very much.
“Even 10 years back I visited the museum with my wife during a family trip, but during all my visits to the Madame Tussauds it never came in my mind that one day I would also have a wax statue placed in the museum.
“I am really honoured that my statue will be placed among the other celebrities from various fields in the Madame Tussauds’ Delhi Museum,” said Milkha Singh while unveiling his wax statue at a ceremony in Chandigarh.
The athlete, who missed a medal at 1960 Rome Olympic medal by a whisker, finishing fourth in the 400m final, will share space with the wax statues of Mahatma Gandhi, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, 1983 World Cup winning captain Kapil Dev, Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan and Indian revolutionary Bhagat Singh.
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- India-pakistan celebrates Guru Nanak dev Ji’s 550th birth anniversary together.
- ੴ ‘Ik Onkar’ symbol painted on aircraft
- Gurbani was read in the US Senate Chamber
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh Urged To Cut Off His Turban