We must flaunt our Royal Sikh look
She’s dressed up the likes of Vikram Chatwal, Malkit Singh and Navjot Singh Sidhu. Meet designer Sahiba J Singh who excels in Sikh fashion particularly for the turbaned groom!
Spunky yet subtle, traditional but with contemporary leanings…it’s hard to chose words that best describe Sahiba J Singh’s work. The young designer and stylist who has in the past dressed up the likes of Vikram Chatwal for his traditional wedding and got singer Malkit Singh and politician and anchor Navjot Singh Sidhu to don silk turbans has moved into Chandigarh from Mumbai with her own store (in Sector 7) and label.
“I have so far worked in Mumbai in selling through various designer stores” tells Sahiba, a fashion graduate who went onto intern with ace designer duo Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla. It was four years back that she rolled out her label that spells the same as her name. Interestingly, while most young designers today choose to go modern in look and perspective, Sahiba has made tradion her unique selling point (USP).
“I’m very proud to be a Sikh and I feel when it comes to formal do’s and weddings, we must flaunt our royal Sikh look”, believes Singh who has a penchant for Sikh fashion particularly for the groom.
“Be it the Kalgi, Sehra or even the Kirpans, I have a sepciality in designing them” mentions the designer who likes to call herself a Sikh Stylist.
Interestingly, Sahiba has also brought out two ‘Sikh Fashion’ calendars that feature men and women in Royal robes. “I feel that we should make the most of our heirloom and fashion. Keeping in aesthetics I have glamourised the turban by using different fabrics and accentuating it with Kalgi’s”, lists out the stylist who takes on made-to-order trousseaux and entire ensembles for the groom.
Even her pret line boasts of a smart mix of traditional charm with contemporary styling. “Even now I am supplying my Bhulkari collection to stores in Dubai in Mumbai”, mentions the designer as we notice an outfit that merges Bhulkari with block printing.
“You have to make smart combinations”, tells Sahiba who also has a range of Cocktail Kurti’s and unstitched suits up for sale at her store in Sector 7.
Check out Sahiba’s website for more details: www.sahibajsingh.com
- Meet The Woman Behind London Finance Solutions - October 15, 2017
- 10 Oct 2017 World Mental Health Day Awareness and Support are Both Key - October 10, 2017
- India: Milkha Singh Wax Work Unveiled in Madame Tussauds - October 5, 2017
- UK: Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE Passes Away - October 7, 2017
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh becomes leader of NDP - October 2, 2017
- UK MP Tanmanjeet Dhesi calls for direct flights between Amritsar – UK - September 27, 2017
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Lord Indarjit Singh CBE - September 25, 2017
- Basics of Sikhi, Jagraj Singh Passes Away - July 20, 2017
- Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi wins seat at UK General Elections - June 9, 2017
- Britain Elects First Female Sikh MP – Preet Gill - June 9, 2017
- Meet The Woman Behind London Finance Solutions
- 10 Oct 2017 World Mental Health Day Awareness and Support are Both Key
- India: Milkha Singh Wax Work Unveiled in Madame Tussauds
- UK: Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE Passes Away
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh becomes leader of NDP
- UK MP Tanmanjeet Dhesi calls for direct flights between Amritsar – UK