New Train From Amritsar to Anandpur Sahib
A long standing demand of Sikhs for a train is finally met. New express train from Anandpur Sahib to Amritsar was flagged off on Monday 23 March. Both places are very important to Sikhs as Anandpur Sahib is the birth place of Khalsa, where Guru Gobind Singh Ji laid foundation of Khalsa in 1699 and Sri Amritsar is the place of highest temporal seat of Sikhs. Both of these places are Takhts out of total five Sikh Takhts.
Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu and Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal jointly flagged off the inaugural run of the train. The new express train is expected to run regularly from Vaisakhi on April 13.
The train will start from Nangal Dam, about 19km from Sri Anandpur Sahib, and run through Morinda junction with stops at Kurali, Morinda, Samrala, Ludhiana and Jalandhar. The train will have air-conditioned chair car, three-tier AC and general class accommodation with luggage van coaches.
Mr. Suresh Prabhu also said that pending expansion of rail network in Punjab would be taken up on priority. On demand of Punjab government he also announced to construct six rail over-bridges(ROBs) at Ropar, Garshankar, Kurali, Gharota, Bahlu and Morinda besides making Anandpur Sahib a model railway station. The minister announced that this year, 3500 unmanned railway level-crossings would be covered, besides construction of 900 ROBs across the nation.
Mr Badal said that the new Amritsar railway station would have a shopping mall besides modern office spaces. He said with a decision on this already being taken in principle Punjab would be the first stare in the country to taken up modernisation under this scheme.
- Guru Amar Das - May 21, 2015
- Experiences, Comments and Thoughts from the Front Line - April 23, 2015
- Made in India – DC Avanti - April 12, 2015
- Body of Missing Baljeev Johal Found - April 10, 2015
- UK Workplace Turban Law Amended - March 31, 2015
- Gurdwara Sri Degsar Sahib - March 27, 2015
- FBI to track violence against Sikhs, Hindus and Arabs - March 27, 2015
- New Train From Amritsar to Anandpur Sahib - March 25, 2015
- Importance of Blood Donation - March 14, 2015
- Green plan for Sikh Gurdwaras in Pakistan - March 8, 2015
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future?
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh