Oz nightclub in turban ban climbdown
A 28-year-old Sikh who visited a nightclub in Canberra, Australia, got caught up in a fight – with the club owners.
Kanwal Preet Singh Pahwa contacted a discrimination tribunal after he was ordered to leave the Minque premises in Manuka because he was wearing a turban.
An IT software expert, Kanwal decided to fight back after his exclusion in May last year.
On April 19 the tribunal ruled in his favour and asked the club to publish an apology in a national newspaper.
The club has also been told to change its dress code. Visitors wearing headgear reflecting religious or cultural beliefs can no longer be turned away.
Kanwal’s father Mohinder Singh Pahwa, a retired government employee, was delighted with his son’s historic victory for the Sikh community.
He said Kanwal had been urged by the family not to swallow the insult.
Kanwal, who does not drink alcohol, was enjoying an evening out with work colleagues. He told the tribunal he felt victimised and humiliated when he was approached first by bouncers and then by the club manager.
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh Urged To Cut Off His Turban
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London