Police find takeaway staff cooking near corpse
Police investigating a report of a sudden death at a British kebab shop found the owner cooking with a colleague’s corpse lying on a nearby sofa.
Jaswinder Singh was immediately ordered to stop selling food at the Pappu Sweet Centre and Catering in Wolverhampton in the West Midlands.
And at a magistrates court on October 14, District Judge Martin Brown took away his business.
Singh, 45, was subjected to a Hygiene Prohibition Order, plus £3,861 in fines and costs. He had previously been fined £2,000 in 2001 for poor hygiene at the shop, which he had owned since 1996.
The shop sold kebabs and other takeaway dishes and Indian sweets.
The court heard that the police visit revealed rats, including a dead rat under a pan, mouldy food, flies – and staff dropping cigarettes and spitting on the floor.
Singh admitted 12 hygiene and pest control offences and apologised for breaking regulations. He said he had spent £2,000 on improvements and asked for one last chance to prove he could run the business properly.
But the judge described the conditions uncovered as “disgusting and horrendous”.
He said Singh was not a fit person to be preparing food for the public. “I have effectively taken away your business,” he said.
Top-selling UK tabloid newspaper The Sun, renowned for its punning headlines, titled the story “Goner Kebab” – a play on the popular takeaway meal, doner kebab, originally imported to the UK from Turkey.
The kebab has been associated with poor hygiene and nutritional standards – high salt and fat levels – for a number of years.
Pappu Sweet Centre and Catering has ensured that its reputation won’t be improving any time soon.
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh Urged To Cut Off His Turban
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London