Punjabi man has five kidneys in his body
A Punjabi photographer has made headlines worldwide with the revelation that he has five kidneys – the two he was born with and others donated by two sisters and his mother.
Jaswant Singh, 33, received a donated organ from his sister Harjindar Kaur in 2002 and when it failed just over a year later accepted another from his younger sister Ranvit Kaur.
Unfortunately, the kidney failed after 14 months as he ceased taking post-operative medicine designed to prevent rejection – because he could no longer afford it.
The transplant sequence started in 2002 after his kidneys suddenly failed.
Before and in between the operations as the organs failed he was sustained by kidney dialysis. Doctors decided it was unwise to remove the defunct organs.
Mr Singh told the media his family were determined he should live and this time it was his mother Amar Kaur, 56, who provided the replacement kidney.
Staff at India’s National Kidney Hospital were touched by the photographer’s plight and his family’s sacrifices and performed the latest transplant surgery without charge.
The family had paid hundreds of thousands of rupees for previous operations.
Mr Singh said his mother’s kidney was functioning well with the support of heavy medication but whether it would do so long-term would become clear when the medication was reduced.
He said his ill health had been such that he could not work for months at a time or travel far from home.
He told how moved he had been by the sacrifices made on his behalf, physically and financially. His father delivers milk and is brother is a tax driver so his family is far from affluent.
There was no way that he could repay what they had done for him, he said.
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh Urged To Cut Off His Turban
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London