SALDEF in dramatic move to head off Sikh outflow
American Sikhs living in Indiana have been invited to an unusual State gathering to hear experts remind them of their civil rights and how they can create a dialogue with State government leaders.
The unusual town hall meeting, news of which could reverberate across the US, has been set for Saturday November 15, after reports that some members of the Indiana Sikh community are considering leaving for neighbouring states where employers are thought to be more tolerant of Sikh articles of faith.
The meeting has been organised by the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund (SALDEF) – the biggest Sikh American civil rights movement in the States – in conjunction with the Sikh Satsang of Indianapolis and the Gurdwara Shri Guru Hargobind Singh Sahib.
Members of the Sikh community are being encouraged to to attend the event with their children, to drive home the civil rights message across the generations.
Lined up to listen and respond to the views of the community are Daniel Harter, Regional Director, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and Thomas Van Worme of the Indiana Field Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
Also invited are the Indiana Department of Education, Indianaoplis Police Department, Senators Evan Bayh and Richard Lugar and Congressman Dan Burton.
The meeting is to be held at the Sikh Satsang of Indianapolis, 10950 Southeastern Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana 46239, from 11am to 1pm.
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- Welcome to the team Rajveer Kaur - January 9, 2018
- Want to write for Sikhs Online? - January 1, 2018
- New Years Eve programme not to be missed at Guru Maneyo Granth Gurdwara - December 31, 2017
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father
- Mental Health Matters – Fact and Fiction
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future?