Sikh jailed for life – threatening assault
A Sikh who had passed his driving test only two days earlier caused a pedestrian a life-threatening head injury when he punched him to the ground in a roadside argument.
At Edinburgh Sheriff Court, Joth Singh admitted the assault, which took place in November 2007, and was jailed for 17 and a half months.
The court heard that his victim, Eric Wingate, 31, suffered a fractured skull and needed emergency surgery. He had to have titanium skull plates fitted and has since suffered panic attacks, headaches, nausea and breakdowns and can no longer work full-time.
Singh admitted causing him severe injury, endangering his life and leaving him permanently impaired and disfigured.
He got out of his car in Edinburgh’s old town and attacked Mr Wingate, from Australia, when the pedestrian kicked his car after colliding with the vehicle.
Singh, a father of two, was found at an address in Piershill Square East. He claimed he did not know that Mr Wingate was unconscious when he drove off in his car, which his lawyer said was his pride and joy.
Singh was sent to prison for 33 months in August 2005 for acting as a heroin courier.
He was released early in August 2006 but at Edinburgh High Court in August this year was ordered to serve the unexpired three-month portion of his original sentence.
- The life of Amrita Sher-Gil: India’s Frida Kahlo - April 15, 2020
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- The life of Amrita Sher-Gil: India’s Frida Kahlo
- The Impact of Social Media on Young People
- Time to Change 6th Feb 2020
- AMAR SHAHEED BABA DEEP SINGH JI
- The Father of Fibre Optics
- India-pakistan celebrates Guru Nanak dev Ji’s 550th birth anniversary together.