Sikh Man Builds Mosque for his Muslim Friend
Punjab: Joga Singh (pictured above), a farmer in Punjab, in a heartfelt gesture combining all that Sikhi is about has built a Mosque for his friends and neighbours from the Muslim community so that they have a place to worship in.
Mr Singh and his family in Sarwarpur, was moved by the fact that Muslims had nowhere nearby to worship in the village, and that they would normally have to travel upto 10km to go and pray. That’s when he decided to rebuild the old mosque, using the original foundation, for the 11 Muslim families and some other migrant farm labourers in the village.
Expressing gratitude towards Singh, a Muslim resident Mohammad Jameel said, “If our Sikh brothers did not come forward, we could have possibly never got a mosque in our village.”
Guru ki Maseet or Guru’s Mosque is a mosque that was constructed at the request of the sixth Sikh Guru Guru Hargobind ji. It is situated in Sri Hargobindpur town on the banks of River Beas. It is also recognized as a historic site by UNESCO.
The wise Guru was as respectful of Muslim faqirs as he was with Hindu sadhus and his Sikh followers; he viewed people of the differing religions of India with one benevolent gaze. The Guru ordered his Sikhs to start construction of a “Masjid” (mosque). The Masjid was duly completed and duly handed over to the Muslims.
- WATCH – LBC interview with Mohan Singh on Grooming Gangs - May 16, 2017
- A Remarkably Unique Home for Girls - April 2, 2017
- Ustad Sital Singh Sitara Awarded MBE - January 1, 2017
- OBE for City Sikhs founding Chair, Jasvir Singh - December 31, 2016
- Watch – Emotional Tribute from Basics of Sikhi - December 3, 2016
- World Mental Health Day, 10th October - October 7, 2016
- Redbridge’s First Sikh School - September 15, 2016
- The Rise of The Sikh Empire - September 8, 2016
- Teenager wins backing from 3 wealthy Dragons - July 26, 2016
- Sikh Man Builds Mosque for his Muslim Friend - June 30, 2016
- WATCH – LBC interview with Mohan Singh on Grooming Gangs
- A Remarkably Unique Home for Girls
- Ustad Sital Singh Sitara Awarded MBE
- OBE for City Sikhs founding Chair, Jasvir Singh
- Watch – Emotional Tribute from Basics of Sikhi
- World Mental Health Day, 10th October