Sikh Man Builds Mosque for his Muslim Friend
Punjab: Joga Singh (pictured above), a farmer in Punjab, in a heartfelt gesture combining all that Sikhi is about has built a Mosque for his friends and neighbours from the Muslim community so that they have a place to worship in.
Mr Singh and his family in Sarwarpur, was moved by the fact that Muslims had nowhere nearby to worship in the village, and that they would normally have to travel upto 10km to go and pray. That’s when he decided to rebuild the old mosque, using the original foundation, for the 11 Muslim families and some other migrant farm labourers in the village.
Expressing gratitude towards Singh, a Muslim resident Mohammad Jameel said, “If our Sikh brothers did not come forward, we could have possibly never got a mosque in our village.”
Guru ki Maseet or Guru’s Mosque is a mosque that was constructed at the request of the sixth Sikh Guru Guru Hargobind ji. It is situated in Sri Hargobindpur town on the banks of River Beas. It is also recognized as a historic site by UNESCO.
The wise Guru was as respectful of Muslim faqirs as he was with Hindu sadhus and his Sikh followers; he viewed people of the differing religions of India with one benevolent gaze. The Guru ordered his Sikhs to start construction of a “Masjid” (mosque). The Masjid was duly completed and duly handed over to the Muslims.
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- Welcome to the team Rajveer Kaur - January 9, 2018
- Want to write for Sikhs Online? - January 1, 2018
- New Years Eve programme not to be missed at Guru Maneyo Granth Gurdwara - December 31, 2017
- The Chaar Sahibzaade – POEM - December 26, 2017
- Melbourne School Change their Uniform Policy for a Sikh Boy - December 23, 2017
- Meet The Woman Behind London Finance Solutions - October 15, 2017