Sikh newsagent in tobacco talks with Health Minister
A Birmingham businessman was among a contingent of newsagents who met Health Minister Gilliam Merron to explain the difficulties small retailers would face if the Government introduced a ban on in-shop tobacco displays.
Parminder Singh of Haybarnes Stores in Haybarnes Road, Haymills, is national vice president of the National Federation of Retail Newsagents (NFRN), whose representatives told the Minister there was no proof that a display ban would stop young people smoking.
The federation said the proposed ban would hurt small businesses more severely than supermarkets and suggested there were other measures that could be taken to reduced smoking by young people, particularly by educational means.
The NFRN said the Minister had listened closely to its concerns and had conceded, it said, that she had not appreciated that the ban would drives sales from the corner shops to supermarkets.
It said she had agreed to “speak to counterparts in other countries where display bans had been introduced” and to work closely with the NFRN in future.
The 18,000-strong federation has asked for the time limit for changes to be extended from 2013 to 2015.
Other NFRN representatives at the meeting included National President Suleman Khonat.
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- Welcome to the team Rajveer Kaur - January 9, 2018
- Want to write for Sikhs Online? - January 1, 2018
- New Years Eve programme not to be missed at Guru Maneyo Granth Gurdwara - December 31, 2017
- The Chaar Sahibzaade – POEM - December 26, 2017
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future?
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh