Sikhs awarded with OBE
Fauja Singh, 103, holds the world record for the marathon in his age group – along with five British records – and completed his last competitive 26-mile race in Hong Kong only last year.
The British Sikh runner, who returned to serious running at the age of 89, receives the British Empire Medal in recognition of his athletic achievements.
Dr Mohinder Singh, Chairman of the Guru Nanak Nishkam Sewak Jatha receives the OBE for services to Interfaith and Community Cohesion
He is currently steering, along with other faith leaders, proposals for a £60 million Museum of World Religions, to be based in the former Municipal Bank in Broad Street.
He adds the OBE to a Papal Knighthood given by Pope Benedict XVI in 2013, was the first Briton to receive the official Sikh title of Bhai Sahib and has a series of national and international roles.
He is also a patron of the Nishkam schools.
Dr Singh said: “It is a great honour to receive this prestigious award.
“I have accepted this appointment on behalf of the founders and members of Guru Nanak Nishkam Sewak Jatha and the wider communities I am privileged to serve here in the UK and internationally,” he added
Gurmel Singh Kandola. Chief executive National Sikh Museum, Derby and Security General of Sikh Council UK receives the MBE for his services to the community.
- Guru Amar Das - May 21, 2015
- Experiences, Comments and Thoughts from the Front Line - April 23, 2015
- Made in India – DC Avanti - April 12, 2015
- Body of Missing Baljeev Johal Found - April 10, 2015
- UK Workplace Turban Law Amended - March 31, 2015
- Gurdwara Sri Degsar Sahib - March 27, 2015
- FBI to track violence against Sikhs, Hindus and Arabs - March 27, 2015
- New Train From Amritsar to Anandpur Sahib - March 25, 2015
- Importance of Blood Donation - March 14, 2015
- Green plan for Sikh Gurdwaras in Pakistan - March 8, 2015
- The Father of Fibre Optics
- India-pakistan celebrates Guru Nanak dev Ji’s 550th birth anniversary together.
- ੴ ‘Ik Onkar’ symbol painted on aircraft
- Gurbani was read in the US Senate Chamber
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House