On the 11th of July 2008 Sikh Community Care Project (SCCP) celebrated an event called ‘TEEYAN’. This event also bought to a close a Heritage project, for which the project was funded by the lottery to deliver heritage workshops. The workshops included teaching people old arts and crafts: such as spinning cotton on a wheel, before the introduction of machines, or churning milk to make butter. The workshops included teaching people how to make rugs and designing various shawls.
The event exhibited all the crafts that the volunteers used to run the workshops, which were very successful amongst all community groups, and schools, where the workshops were taught. The TEEYAN event attracted over 450 women and girls, who enjoyed various spectacles, from traditional giddha, to yoga demonstrations; there was also a laughter show: that surely got the crowd giggling.
The event called TEEYAN, was and still is celebrated in India. It is a time just before the monsoon season, where girls and women, would often decide to congregate under a huge tree, only to enjoy a day full of singing, dancing, sharing each others anxieties and worries, but more importantly share life experiences.
The event on Friday the 11th July was a huge success, and some of the volunteers organised a drama based on some of the recent issues that newly married girls and boys are experiencing, as they come into England….The event ended with everyone in high spirits, dancing and singing and enjoying traditional Indian food.
S.C.C.P and DIPP is partnership in 2007 established a community based preventative health programme called DIPP – which stands for Diabetes Intervention Prevention Programme. This programme delivers various health seminars, health days, exercise sessions, such as the new Bhangra aerobics sessions, which are proving very popular.
To learn more about The Sikh Community Care Project (SCCP), please click here.
- Basics of Sikhi, Jagraj Singh Passes Away - July 20, 2017
- Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi wins seat at UK General Elections - June 9, 2017
- Britain Elects First Female Sikh MP – Preet Gill - June 9, 2017
- WATCH: The Power of Positivity with Mann Matharu on Sikh Channel - May 25, 2017
- WATCH – LBC interview with Mohan Singh on Grooming Gangs - May 16, 2017
- A Remarkably Unique Home for Girls - April 2, 2017
- Ustad Sital Singh Sitara Awarded MBE - January 1, 2017
- OBE for City Sikhs founding Chair, Jasvir Singh - December 31, 2016
- Watch – Emotional Tribute from Basics of Sikhi - December 3, 2016
- World Mental Health Day, 10th October - October 7, 2016
- Basics of Sikhi, Jagraj Singh Passes Away
- Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi wins seat at UK General Elections
- Britain Elects First Female Sikh MP – Preet Gill
- WATCH: The Power of Positivity with Mann Matharu on Sikh Channel
- WATCH – LBC interview with Mohan Singh on Grooming Gangs
- A Remarkably Unique Home for Girls