On the 11th of July 2008 Sikh Community Care Project (SCCP) celebrated an event called ‘TEEYAN’. This event also bought to a close a Heritage project, for which the project was funded by the lottery to deliver heritage workshops. The workshops included teaching people old arts and crafts: such as spinning cotton on a wheel, before the introduction of machines, or churning milk to make butter. The workshops included teaching people how to make rugs and designing various shawls.
The event exhibited all the crafts that the volunteers used to run the workshops, which were very successful amongst all community groups, and schools, where the workshops were taught. The TEEYAN event attracted over 450 women and girls, who enjoyed various spectacles, from traditional giddha, to yoga demonstrations; there was also a laughter show: that surely got the crowd giggling.
The event called TEEYAN, was and still is celebrated in India. It is a time just before the monsoon season, where girls and women, would often decide to congregate under a huge tree, only to enjoy a day full of singing, dancing, sharing each others anxieties and worries, but more importantly share life experiences.
The event on Friday the 11th July was a huge success, and some of the volunteers organised a drama based on some of the recent issues that newly married girls and boys are experiencing, as they come into England….The event ended with everyone in high spirits, dancing and singing and enjoying traditional Indian food.
S.C.C.P and DIPP is partnership in 2007 established a community based preventative health programme called DIPP – which stands for Diabetes Intervention Prevention Programme. This programme delivers various health seminars, health days, exercise sessions, such as the new Bhangra aerobics sessions, which are proving very popular.
To learn more about The Sikh Community Care Project (SCCP), please click here.
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh Urged To Cut Off His Turban
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London