Transit boss bhangra’s to YouTube fame
A delightful show of togetherness led by a Sikh executive of an American public transport organisation has turned into a popular item on video sharing website YouTube.
Harpal Kapoor, Director of Florida’s Miami-Dade Transit system, invited colleagues to join him in a jolly bhangra dancing session at a company event and started a journey on to the information super highway!
The video clip shows Mr Kapoor cajoling staff, the shy and the not-so-shy, to join him in the Punjabi folk dance – and a good time was had by all.
Mr Kapoor has nearly 30 years’ experience as a transportation professional,. He was appointed Director of Miami-Dade Transit in June 2007.
He heads the largest transit property in Florida and the 14th largest in the United States, with a fleet of more than 1,000 buses, a 23.5-mile Metrorail system and an 8.5-mile downtown Metromover system.
He was promoted to Director from Deputy Director of Operations, having rejoined the organisation in February 2006 after serving for six years as Assistant Manager of Bus Engineering at the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.
Indian born, he first joined MDT in 1985 as a Rail Vehicle Electronic Technician and rose through the ranks to Assistant General Superintendent of Bus Maintenance.
At the Washington authority he was credited with enhancing the system’s performance and reliability and saving millions of dollars through improvements in efficiency.
Now as top man at Miami-Dade, he is once again charged with finding budget savings. Objectives include optimising resources through adjustments in bus routes, completing an overhaul of Metromover vehicles, improving on-time bus and rail reliability and implementing the People’s Transportation Plan – a multi-billion-dollar improvement plan funded by a voter-approved half-penny sales surtax.
Mr Kapoor is a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the American Public Transportation Association (APTA), where he sits on committees dealing with developing brake, undercarriage and climate control standards and diesel hybrid-electric bus specifications.
He holds a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Kurukshetra University in India, as well as a degree in business administration.
- Basics of Sikhi, Jagraj Singh Passes Away - July 20, 2017
- Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi wins seat at UK General Elections - June 9, 2017
- Britain Elects First Female Sikh MP – Preet Gill - June 9, 2017
- WATCH: The Power of Positivity with Mann Matharu on Sikh Channel - May 25, 2017
- WATCH – LBC interview with Mohan Singh on Grooming Gangs - May 16, 2017
- A Remarkably Unique Home for Girls - April 2, 2017
- Ustad Sital Singh Sitara Awarded MBE - January 1, 2017
- OBE for City Sikhs founding Chair, Jasvir Singh - December 31, 2016
- Watch – Emotional Tribute from Basics of Sikhi - December 3, 2016
- World Mental Health Day, 10th October - October 7, 2016
- Basics of Sikhi, Jagraj Singh Passes Away
- Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi wins seat at UK General Elections
- Britain Elects First Female Sikh MP – Preet Gill
- WATCH: The Power of Positivity with Mann Matharu on Sikh Channel
- WATCH – LBC interview with Mohan Singh on Grooming Gangs
- A Remarkably Unique Home for Girls