10 Oct 2017 World Mental Health Day Awareness and Support are Both Key
Tuesday 10th October marks World Mental Health Day for 2017. The area of mental health does not always get the exposure, publicity and awareness that it deserves and therefore it is excellent to have the opportunity, on World Mental health Day, to highlight such an important area that affects so many people.
The theme of World Mental Health Day 2017 is mental health in the work place. It points to the fact that during our lives, for many of us, a large proportion of our time is spent in our workplace and therefore can have an important on our wellbeing. The idea is to raise awareness around support in the workplace environment with a view to improving mental health generally. World wide figures indicate that more than 300 million people suffer from depression, which is one of the leading causes of disability. More than 260 million are living with anxiety disorders. There are also many individuals living with both. This information has been produced by the World Health Organisation.
Certainly one of the keys to breaking down the stigma of Mental Health is awareness and it is undoubtedly the case that groups such as Mind, the Time to Change campaign and Rethink, along with many others, have done some excellent work in terms of breaking down the barriers and the mystique that surrounds mental health issues, this additional knowledge and awareness will be a key factor going forward.
The theme of support in the workplace is an excellent platform and hopefully this will extend out to support those suffering mental health issues, in order that people do reach out to the individuals and provide the support. Talking and having the opportunity of sharing those issues with others can often be really important and open the gateway to a network and the support platforms that are out there and available in the mental health world.
Therefore, it is important to do what you can and support who you can in the area of mental health. I take this opportunity to wish you all good physical and mental health and re-emphasise that support and awareness are the key.
Article by: Ranjit Thaliwal
Thaliwal & Veja Solicitors
ranjit (at) thaliwalveja.co.uk
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal - September 30, 2019
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK - December 8, 2018
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar - November 27, 2018
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London - July 10, 2018
- Indian Athlete Dedicates Gold Medal to his Father - August 28, 2018
- Maharani Jind Kaur’s Jewellery Sells for £182,000 - July 5, 2018
- Lepra urges UK Government not to neglect Leprosy - January 31, 2018
- Could you give a Sikh child a brighter future? - January 30, 2018
- Roko Cancer Charitable Trust - January 22, 2018
- Royal Mail stamp to feature Princess Sophia Duleep Singh - January 15, 2018
- EastEnders – The Panesar Brothers in the House
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh Urged To Cut Off His Turban
- World Mourns The Demise of Deputy Sandeep Singh Dhaliwal
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit Sri Guru Singh Sabha in Southall, UK
- Direct Flights Between London Luton Airport and Amritsar
- Empire of the Sikhs Exhibition Opens in London