Youngsters learn the art of turban tying
BBC News in the Midlands reports that a Leicestershire Sikh community has taken action to ensure the tradition of wearing a turban does not die out.
It held a special workshop in the art or turban tying for fear that the turban will be forgotten if youngsters are not taught more about it.
The headwear associated with the faith dates back almost 300 years.
Karandeep Singh helped organise the workshop in Oadby to raise awareness about the turban, which the BBC said was not mandatory under the religion.
He said: “There are a lot of youths that shy away from wearing the turban.”
He hopes its profile will be raised by the emergence in the UK of Sikh celebrities such as England cricketer Monty Panesar.
Mr Singh said when he was growing up there were not enough Sikh role models in the country.
His workshop attracted more than 80 people, including 30 girls. By promoting the turban he hopes youngsters will feel comfortable wearing it.
To read and watch a similar story on the BBC website, please click here
- Meet The Woman Behind London Finance Solutions - October 15, 2017
- The Boy with the Topknot – Film Review - November 14, 2017
- Munshi Singh and The Komagata Maru Incident - October 28, 2017
- 10 Oct 2017 World Mental Health Day Awareness and Support are Both Key - October 10, 2017
- India: Milkha Singh Wax Work Unveiled in Madame Tussauds - October 5, 2017
- UK: Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE Passes Away - October 7, 2017
- Canada: Jagmeet Singh becomes leader of NDP - October 2, 2017
- UK MP Tanmanjeet Dhesi calls for direct flights between Amritsar – UK - September 27, 2017
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Lord Indarjit Singh CBE - September 25, 2017
- Basics of Sikhi, Jagraj Singh Passes Away - July 20, 2017
- Meet The Woman Behind London Finance Solutions
- The Boy with the Topknot – Film Review
- Munshi Singh and The Komagata Maru Incident
- 10 Oct 2017 World Mental Health Day Awareness and Support are Both Key
- India: Milkha Singh Wax Work Unveiled in Madame Tussauds
- UK: Bhai Sewa Singh Mandla OBE Passes Away